With summer being such a busy time for activities and vacations, I have been searching for quick, easy meals. After talking about how great of a substitute avocado can be for various ingredients, I gave it a try. I used avocado as a substitute for mayonnaise in this dish and it really hit the spot!
*This recipe makes ~3 cups of salad
2 Chicken breasts
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup red seedless grapes, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Bake chicken breasts in oven at 425 degrees for ~30 minutes or until cooked thoroughly (you can alter this and broil or use a crock pot as well). Cool.
2. Shred chicken with hands or fork. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours or until chilled.
3. Chop celery and grapes and add to shredded chicken.
4. Cream/mash avocado with fork.
5. Add chicken, celery and grapes mixture to mashed avocado and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
All in all this was a delicious and fast meal to make. You can eat it as a sandwich or on a salad. The avocado gave the perfect amount of creaminess while also providing some great health benefits.
You can also personalize this salad to your own liking by adding onions, bell peppers and/or nuts. Let me know your own additions!
Katherine Horner, RD, LD, NASM-CPT, CES
Surgical Weight Loss Dietitian and Exercise Specialist