Exercise is an important part of weight loss and weight maintenance. As important as exercise is, its also important where you exercise. Outdoor activities can be an excellent way to get a workout in, but can be difficult based on Mother Nature. So what should you look for in a gym? The following tips will help you choose the best place for you to achieve your exercise goals.
- Goals: Make sure that you have short and long term goals in mind. With these in the back of your head you are able to find a location that can best help you accomplish these.
- Cost: Look for various membership options through different healthclubs. Know what you are willing to pay and search for the best option. Remember that your health has a cost so be willing to spend some money on this essential part of your lifestyle.
- Equipment: Look for a gym that has the modalities that you like to use when you workout. Make sure that they have all the equipment that can help you achieve your goals.
- Comfort: Make sure you feel welcome and comfortable at the gym you choose.
- Schedule: Ensure that the location you are choosing to workout at has hours that fit into your schedule. This will make it easier for workouts to get accomplished and less of a fight to get them done.
Hopefully these tips can help you choose a gym or healthclub that will allow you to achieve your exercise goals. We have a resource book full of gyms and exercise programs that are available to you. Ask at your next visit or call us if you need more information.
Katherine Horner, MS, RD, LD, NASM-CPT, CES
Surgical Weight Loss Dietitian & Exercise Specialist
Information derived from http://www.mercynorthiowa.com/Workfiles/Bariatric_Newsletter_June2013.pdf