Picadillo is a traditional dish in Spain and many Latin American countries. This is a Cuban-style and goes great with cauliflower or rice. It’s an easy throw together meal with great nutrition and high-protein!
1 lb ground turkey (you can use ground beef if desired)
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced bell pepper
1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup diced olives
1/2 cup chicken stock
6oz tomato paste
1 can Rotel
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Brown ground turkey in a pan on medium heat.
2. Combine tomato paste, rotel and chicken stock in a large bowl until throughly mixed.
3. Place browned turkey, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and olives into the crock pot.
4. Pour tomato paste/Rotel/chicken stock mixture on top and mix.
5. Add garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper and combine.
6. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Katherine Horner, MS, RD, LD
St. Francis Surgical Weight Loss Dietitian & Exercise Specialist