Quinoa is a fantastic whole grain that not only has good complex carbohydrates, but also packs in some protein! There are plenty of easy ways to incorporate quinoa into a meal. A quinoa salad is one of the easiest dishes to make because it requires such few ingredients and can be made so quickly. It also allows for lots of adjustments based on your own preferences.
1 cup quinoa
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Dressing: Italian dressing or lime juice, salt and cilantro
1. Cook quinoa as directed (1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for ~15 minutes).
2. Remove quinoa from pot and cool in refrigerator.
3. Once cool, add bell peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes. Mix.
4. Toss mixture with dressing of choice.
5. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Katherine Horner, MS, RD, LD
St. Francis SWL Dietitian & Exercise Specialist