The way we view ourselves both before and after weight loss surgery can be very different and ever-changing. Many patients struggle with self-image with such a drastic change. An article on ObesityHelp does a great job discussing some of the ways that self-image can be impacted by weight loss surgery. We can all stand to evaluate the way we interact with ourselves and see the areas that we can improve. Remember to keep these tips in mind for improving your self-image:
1. Speak positively to yourself. Try to decrease the negative thoughts and sayings to yourself and others.
2. Purchase clothing that makes you feel good.
3. Scales don’t define us and often aren’t an accurate representation of health.
4. Write down 3 things on a daily basis that you like about yourself.
5. Remember that it’s about the overall healthy lifestyle.
6. Everyone is different. Don’t compare yourself to others.
I hope this can help us all to work towards a better, more aware, image of ourselves.
Katherine Horner, MS, RD, LD
Surgical Weight Loss Dietitian & Exercise Specialist